Closing date: 15th January 2022
CAPE TOWN (or GAUTENG)
REF: PSA 716
This South African organisation works with youth especially in less serviced areas in terms of health provision, in all facets of empowering them to own their own sexuality, and use of technology through digital tools and mobile clinics to gain access to youth and educate and impart information to them in areas where they are found, so they can make informed choices about their health and status for their future. This position will lead strategic generation and dissemination of all aspects of evidence in line with policies and strategic direction for the organisation, partners and in line with international standards, and reports to the COO.
Key Responsibilities and Duties :
MONITORING AND EVALUATION, RESEARCH
- Oversees/leads all internal and external program evaluations to develop and promote a learning agenda that builds the knowledge necessary to inform program planning, funding decisions, and strategic directions for the organization.
- Oversees all major donor evaluations, ensuring evaluations are balanced across core evaluation principles, including accuracy, propriety, feasibility, and utility.
- Ensures that evaluation variables are strategically identified and donor reporting requirements are met.
- Oversees the design, data collection methods and process, data analysis, and representation of findings using the highest scientific rigor and contextual relevance as possible.
- Provides technical oversight to the SIE and program teams to ensure effective implementation of internal monitoring and evaluation practices.
- Leads in program evaluations and assessments, preparing timely and accurate inputs.
- Develop and implement research agenda for the organisation
MONITORING SYSTEMS AND ORGANISATIONAL CAPACITY BUILDING
- Leads the capacity assessment of the organisational needs and opportunities in SIE.
- Builds capacity of program staff to effectively implement the M&E framework, conceptualize, collect, analyze, interpret, and disseminate data for real-time programmatic decision-making.
- Develops and refines M&E/research strategy/frameworks including logical frameworks, results frameworks, data flow charts to guide the development and implementation of robust and effective M&E systems and processes, research, data management information systems.
- Coordinates with program teams to ensure best practices in monitoring, evaluation, research, and advocacy are integrated into the organisation’s work to achieve health impact.
- Fosters a culture of knowledge building and sharing on SIE team, organisation’s staff and strategic partners.
IMPLEMENTATION OF M&E STRATEGY AND PLANNING:
- Ensures quality implementation of the organizational M&E strategy, monitors/reports on performance indicators and variances.
- Develops and recommends an evaluation strategy and related plans that ensures critical and timely knowledge acquisition and dissemination which adds strategic value to programs.
- Recommends a comprehensive program of research that would advance the ability to contribute to the field of knowledge within this sector of operation.
- Works closely with the Head of IT to inform the design and functionalities of the organisation’s electronic systems.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Annual Research Plan.
- Works together with the Heads of Operations and Programs to lead the implementation of the Internal Quality Assurance and Improvement Plan.
- Provides guidance in the design and implementation of data quality assurance procedures and trainings to ensure accurate and consistent data collection among Shout field teams and partners.
- Examines field generated data on an ongoing basis and make decisions on how to match demand with services.
RESOURCE MOBILISATION AND STRATEGY
- Participates in the preparation and development of funding proposals and development of funding strategic planning
- Allocates work to staff and monitors progress to achieve maximum productivity and the achievement of targets.
- Contributes to the platform strategic plan and to Leadership Team decision-making.
CAPACITY BUILDING, TRAINING AND BUDGETARY CONTROL
- Directs the management of SIE department staff and budget, including setting annual performance goals, scheduled performance reviews, providing regular coaching and staff development opportunities.
- Supports all program areas with logical framework and performance monitoring plan development in line with donor requirements.
- Support M&E related capacity building to implementing partners and institutions supported by the organisation and staff
- Informs the organisational training agenda to ensure staff buy-in to M&E and competence in applying M&E tools.
REPORTING AND STAKEHOLDER MANAGEMENT
- Lead the preparation of reports and documents when needed.
- Designs reporting guidelines and oversee accurate and timely reporting of quantitative program indicators to donor and DoH reporting systems.
- Represents the organisation at high-level stakeholder meetings and in high-level external forums at national and international level, and stays current with international and local best practices, donor and DoH requirements and adjusts M&E systems.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in related field
- At least 10 years’ experience, 5 of which should be at senior management level.
- Excellent people leadership skills and adept at building successful teams.
- Experience with M&E systems in international organizational settings, including both qualitative and quantitative methods, logical frameworks and program/project design.
- Experience in research formulation, conduction, and dissemination.
- Experience presenting at large international fora and to expert audiences.
- Exceptional presentation skills and expert data analysis skills.
- Expert level of computer literacy, especially databases and statistical applications.
- Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential and competency in one or more of the other official SA languages would be a benefit.