About the job
Ntataise meaning “to lead a young child by the hand” is an independent, not-for-profit organization founded in South Africa in 1980 with the objective of helping women in disadvantaged rural communities gain the knowledge and skills needed to establish and sustain effective Early Childhood Development (ECD) programmes for children in their care. Ntataise’s vision is to ensure that the growing numbers of vulnerable children living in marginalized communities of South Africa gain access to quality early childhood development opportunities which support their physical, emotional, and cognitive growth.
Over the past forty-two years Ntataise’s work has developed to meet the needs of the communities with which it works, aligned with the developments in the ECD landscape and government initiatives. Its reach has expanded from farm worker communities to towns and villages across South Africa. Today Ntataise has developed into one of the largest and most successful development/civil society organisations in the South African ECD sector.
Ntataise is looking for a Financial Officer to join the Ntataise team. The position requires specific skills and experience and a high level of discretion, trustworthiness, and professionalism. The incumbent needs to be energetic, confident, proactive, and passionate about the role
Scope of position
The Financial Manager will work closely with, and report directly to, Ntataise’s Executive Director to ensure all bookkeeping and financial compliance tasks are efficiently and effectively implemented. The position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks at once, and experience of managing accounting responsibilities.
Essential job functions and responsibilities
- Working with the Executive Director on preparation and maintenance of budgets and forecast.
- Ensuring individual projects and programmes are maintained within budget including variance analysis
- Preparation and production of monthly management reports for internal and external use.
- General Ledger Management
- Financial reporting to donors – income and expense reports
- Preparation and processing of monthly pay runs
- Review of cost centre allocations and bank reconciliation
- Invoicing and accounts receivables maintenance
- Cashflow management
- Ensuring implementation of internal controls to ensure maintenance of organisational policies and principles.
- Performing of general bookkeeping duties.
- Assisting internal and external auditing
- Working with Ntataise’s accounting firm.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and regulatory requirements
- The candidate should be proficient in MS Office
- Knowledge of the Xero Accounting system or willingness to learn it
- Good excel skills
Ntataise will provide the following support:
- Orientation to Ntataise policies, procedures, systems, and processes
- Further and continuous training as required to efficiently and effectively perform job functions and responsibilities
- Provide all resources and tools, including computer and digital requirements to efficiently and effectively perform job functions and responsibilities
Criteria for the role:
- Valid drivers’ license and prepared to travel when needed
- To demonstrate high efficiency and competency
- Ability to work independently
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Team player attitude and the willingness to assist colleagues where necessary
- Be able to manage own time and delivery deadlines
- Experience in the NGO sector would be beneficial