Background Shine Literacy’s is a non-profit organisation with the vision to create a culture of reading to build a nation of readers.
Our programmes help to transform the prospects of some of South Africa’s most vulnerable children by breaking the cycle of poor literacy, low education attainment and wasted potential. We do this by providing structured English literacy support to children, providing storybooks and readers and empowering parents and caregivers through Family Literacy Workshops. We partner with likeminded NGO’s, individuals and NPOs to raise awareness and develop approaches that are appropriate and sustainable. Shine Literacy currently offers literacy support programmes in 43 primary schools. Our reach includes the Western Cape, Eastern Cape, Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
The board is looking for an inspirational leader to take over from the founding director who is retiring after more than 20 years. The successful candidate will ensure the organisation continues to grow and make a positive impact on the education of South African children.
Strategic Vision and Leadership Lead the organisation and set the strategic direction in keeping with Shine Literacy’s vision and mission. Work closely with the board and senior management to refine and implement the strategic plan and ensure required resources are in place.
Stakeholder management Identify, develop and maintain effective partner relationships with donors, government and schools to achieve the organisation’s strategic goals.
Financial Sustainability and Risk Lead fundraising and mobilise resources for scale. Ensure internal controls are in place, financial resources are efficiently managed and reported on, and that the organisation can meet its goals.
People and Culture Attract and retain competent and motivated staff who are committed to Shine’s mission and vision. Ensure that the organisation’s culture is informed by its values, and hold space for organisational reflection, growth and transformation, recognising, valuing and embracing the diversity of views, backgrounds and cultures of the workforce.
Programmes Ensure the effective development and implementation of programmes, informed by data and diagnostic evaluations.
Governance and Compliance Ensure that Shine Literacy has an effective Board and that the organisation complies with relevant policies and legislation.
- A relevant post-graduate qualification, e.g. Education, Development Studies, etc
- Eight or more years work experience in the non-profit, literacy or development sectors of which at least five have been as a senior manager.
- Proven track record of contributing to or leading successful fundraising efforts
- High level strategic thinking and planning.
- Successful track record of building stakeholder relations
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strategic financial management experience, including budget development, analysis and decision making.
- Advanced computer literacy and knowledge of project management systems.
- Knowledge of Foundation Phase Education would be advantageous.
- Visionary who is committed to redress inequality through education and a deep belief in the potential of all children.
- Transparent, responsive, accountable and inclusive leadership style.
- High integrity, compassionate, and respectful
- Openness to innovation, reflective practice and learning
Closing date: 3 July 2021
Shine Literacy strives to be a diverse and equitable organisation. Preference will be given to South African black candidates as defined by the BBB-EE Act.
For more information, go to http://www.shineliteracy.org.za/ or contact Este Buchholz on the above e-mail address.