Table Mountain National Park
A vacancy exists for a Visual data scientist in the Scientific Services division of South African National Parks (SANParks). The successful candidate will apply a suitable system for managing visual records, including capturing, storing, managing and analysing image datasets, such as baited remote underwater videos (BRUVs), images from camera traps, remote sensing imagery and drone imagery, across all parks and nodes. The position will include the rescue and collation of potentially vast biodiversity and habitat information resources to set up opportunities for interpretation and analysis of trends over decades. There is some flexibility in the final placement of the successful candidate, depending on their particular skills and preference.
Salary scale: D3 level.
This two-year contract position will be based at Table Mountain, Garden Route or Kruger National Parks.
Forward your application with a Cover Letter, CV, relevant copies of Qualifications and ID to the following address:
Mr Thami Mohlabi
Human Capital Officer
P O Box 787
If you have not been responded to within 21 days after the closing date, do note that your application is unsuccessful.
- MSc in Natural Science/Information Science or equivalent qualification.
- Three years of working experience in an ecological field and/or bioinformatics-related field.
- Excellent knowledge and experience in visual data management.
- Strong experience in manipulation and analysis of large visual datasets from different sources
- Capable of writing code for detecting biological trends such as species abundance, occurrence, habitat preference and activity patterns from photographs and videos.
- Good working knowledge of GIS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent project management and organisational skills
- A valid driver's licence and willingness to travel to national parks across the country
- Ability to use open-source software, such as R and QGIS, to develop code for data analysis.
- Experience using artificial intelligence for capturing data from photographs and videos.
- Ability to develop, document and implement statistical analysis workflows.
- Experience working with remote sensing data.
- Conduct an inventory of visual datasets, including BRUV and camera trap data, and their locations
- Develop a strategy and operational plan for capturing, managing and sharing these data
- Conduct visual data capture, collation, interpretation and analysis
- Develop and mobilise a strategy for documenting and storing SANParks visual data
- Store, manage and mobilise visual datasets